Sunday 1 November 2009

Quarto October meeting

Well I was back off to Sunderland last week to the October meeting of Quarto - the Book Arts group I joined back in July. A bit daunting this time as I had to make my first book!!

We'd also invited another Book group called 'Bound to be Good' to visit us for the day. They are an offshoot from Calderdale Scribes.

The theme for the book swap was Windows and Apertures so I had decided to create a Tunnel Book that would have a window looking out onto one of my favourite views - Glastonbury Tor. Now this was the first tunnel book I'd made so it's a bit rough but I guess you've got to start somewhere (right??!!)









Well, as it's a swap group my Glastonbury Book went to Barbara from the 'Bound' group, I hope she likes it!!

I received a fanastic book from Anne - who loves all things Christmas!!







Everyone also brought along their previous books which had been made over the years, it was great to see such a varied and individual collection and truly inspiring. Everyone has such different styles and interests so even when you follow the same theme the books are very unique.

We also managed to sqeeze in making a book, thanks to Margaret Beech for this demonstration and providing all the paper. It was a really quick book to make but unusual in the rolled spine that you end up with. Starting with a sheet of A3 paper (although any size would do) you score folds and cut along a couple of lines, ending up with a the result below, we punched a couple of holes and tied ribbon through just to keep the spine rolled up. Brilliant!






The next meeting is in January and our book swap theme is 'Season's' so I'm busy thinking on that now!!

No comments: